I mentioned in the first months of the blog how I considered the end of the 1970s a semi-momentous occasion, one for new beginnings, unimaginable possibilities, etc. (chalk it up to being an immature teenager). The end of the Me Decade turned out to be bad news for any number of musical acts, though--the ones who would never appear again on the U.S Top 40 (in Billboard, anyway) once the calendar flipped to 1980. Here are the ten artists/groups with at least three Top 40 hits who came closest to making AT40 in the 80s or beyond without going over, along with their swan songs (apologies for any oversights--I tried to be thorough in my research). You'll note that some of them had very hefty hits.
10. The Village People, "In the Navy" (last week on AT40: 6/23/79)
Their shelf life was always going to be limited, but the disco backlash made it all the shorter. Their last Hot 100 appearance, called of all things "Ready for the 80s," was at #98 and about to fall off as December 1979 ended.
9. Wet Willie, "Weekend" (7/28)
These guys from Mobile would split in 1980; vocalist Jimmy Hall had a solo hit later that year. They later re-grouped but don't appear to ever have recorded additional studio material.
8. Peter Frampton, "I Can't Stand It No More" (8/4)
Could this end have been predicted three years earlier? Was Frampton a victim of the Sgt. Pepper's curse?
7. Chic, "Good Times" (10/6)
Another disco casualty, though of course Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards had plenty of success as producers and drummer Tony Thompson later played with The Power Station.
5. (tie) Lobo, "Where Were You When I Was Falling in Love" (10/27)
This was Kent Lavoie's first trip to the 40 since the spring of 1975; it's one of my least favorite songs from this period, with a similar theme to another stinker, England Dan & John Ford Coley's "It's Sad to Belong."
5. (tie) Gerry Rafferty, "Get It Right Next Time" (10/27)
This entry is irritating, as I really like all five of Rafferty's Top 40 hits. I get that he was apparently difficult to work with, but man, what a talent. (This was at its peak of #21 on the 10/13 show.)
4. Jimmy Buffett, "Fins" (11/3)
Are you surprised by this? The albums kept coming and coming (and selling and selling), but the singles...not so much. I do regret not going to see him in concert.
3. Bob Dylan, "Gotta Serve Somebody" (11/10)
If you want to strike Zimmy because of his turn in "We Are the World," go right ahead.
2. Michael Johnson, "This Night Won't Last Forever" (11/24)
The only one here who didn't crack the Top 10, though "Bluer Than Blue" did make it to #12. Apparently "at least three Top 40 hits" is a solid indicator of "at least one Top 10 hit."
1. Yvonne Elliman, "Love Pains" (12/15)
Our winner! It's easy to think her career took a nosedive due to the sea change in which musical styles were popular, but apparently she stopped recording to start a family. If I ever knew that Liza Minnelli covered this song ten years later, I'd promptly forgotten about it (though after hearing it you wouldn't have to tell me that Neil Tennant was involved in the production).
A couple of notes as I wrap this up:
--Originally I had Kiss on my list, but then realized they had a Top 10 comeback in 1990 with "Forever."
--There were a few 3+ hit acts on the 12/22/79 chart (the final one of the year) who were enjoying their last ride on the Top 40 but lasted into 1980: Captain & Tennille ("Do That to Me One More Time"), Isaac Hayes ("Don't Let Go"), and Foghat ("Third Time Lucky") all definitely qualify. This is also the final go-round for K.C. and the Sunshine Band ("Please Don't Go"), though Harry Casey was also on that chart with Teri DeSario and would have a solo hit in early 1984. And Crystal Gayle ("Half the Way") had one more week in her with sole billing; her duet with Eddie Rabbitt was almost three years away from charting.
--
As with many songs from those fall weeks of 1979, I get a vibe of crisp, cool nighttime whenever I listen to "Get It Right Next Time." Don't know in this case if it's the bass and keyboard lines or Raphael Ravenscroft's smoky saxophone work on the intro/outro, but this is mood music for after dark. The weather here tonight is going to be completely suitable for watching Gerry and the guys jam a time or two while sitting on my patio.
No comments:
Post a Comment