“Woman's Burden” is a deeply personal song, written by Donna, aka “VelumVelvet” as a poem in 2011 during a difficult time in her life. The words have been lying there for years until the time came for her to give them a voice. It's a sincere, heartfelt song on how it is possible to overcome difficult times, move on from the past and have the strength to start over.
VelumVelvet explains how writing was a way to convey feelings that she couldn't always put into words during her “years of hush” from 2011 to 2020. Along her journey, she has found her voice, gained confidence and has come to know herself as a person and an artist.
Piano, strings and vocals were recorded at home and assembled with the producer and mixer to bring a balance of pain, warmth, struggle and hope in “Woman's Burden”. In her creative realm, the song is part of the “Room of Release,” a space symbolizing healing and moving forward.
During this interview, VelumVelvet shares how the song came about, her creative process, how she found her voice and what is on the horizon for her fans.
Listen to Woman’s Burden
https://open.spotify.com/track/42mho2Wt8iyhg1XTOQNH6s?si=CaoKZYxYSIKjOR4K9higEg&nd=1&dlsi=09690bc5685f4f86
Follow VelumVelvet on
Facebook
Spotify
Youtube
Instagram
Tiktok
Congratulations on the release of “Woman’s Burden.” What inspired you to turn the poem you wrote in 2011 into a song, and what does this release mean to you today?
Thank you. It was a song I needed the world to hear.I originally wrote the poem in 2011 during a very painful time in my life. For years it remained just words on a page, but eventually I realised it needed a voice.
Turning it into a song allowed me to tell that story in a way that felt honest and real.For me, Woman's Burden is about closing a door on the past. It's about surviving difficult experiences, finding the strength , and having the courage to walk into the sunlight and begin a new chapter.
You describe the years between 2011 and 2020 as your “years of hush.” How did that period influence the emotions and message behind “Woman’s Burden”?
As a poet, I wrote to help myself through those difficult years. Writing became both a release and a form of expression when I found it hard to say things out loud.
I wanted people to see that there is always a light and there is always a door. The difficult part is finding the courage to walk through it.
The song reflects your personal journey and the evolution of VelumVelvet. What would you like listeners to understand about the person and artist behind this release?
VelumVelvet was always meant to be. She was simply waiting for the right time.
It was a very difficult period of my life, but as someone creative, this past year has been an incredible journey of discovery.
I've learned so much about myself, both as a person and as an artist.
More than anything, I want people to know that I'm just a normal girl who loves sharing her songs. If my music helps someone feel seen, understood, or a little less alone, then I've achieved what I set out to do.
You mentioned that the song was written entirely from your own experience rather than another artist’s style. How did you find your own voice while bringing this deeply personal story to life?
I love music, but I write from word soups, I’m not trained I just feel music.
The biggest discovery is my voice. Before March I was scared to sing. That’s part of the story .
I’ve worked hard, my songs need my voice to sing them.
I’m not trained I just feel music.
The piano and your vocals create a contrast between feeling trapped and experiencing release. How did you approach the musical arrangement to express these two emotions?
I wanted that contrast between pain and warmth. A little bit of a clash, and a little bit of rawness, because that's how it feels when you're living through a situation like that.
I didn't want everything to sound polished or comfortable. The song needed to carry both the weight of the struggle and the hope of finding a way through it
You worked with a producer on Airgigs for the piano and strings, as well as a mixer who also mentored you and helped set up your new microphone. How did these collaborations shape the final sound of the song?
I'm very lucky. They really understand what I'm trying to create.
My mixer has been incredible. I've grown and learned so much from him. The producer created a beautiful piano and string arrangement that helped bring the emotion of the song to life.
Collaboration is so important.
“Woman’s Burden” was recorded at home, in your own quiet space. What was unique about creating the song outside a traditional recording studio?
As I’ve never worked in a studio, I really don’t know what that’s is like. I’ve got a new mic and sound card.
That’s made a big difference
A lot of this journey has been about learning as I go. I'm discovering my voice, my sound, and my confidence at the same time.
https://open.spotify.com/artist/6NdPCBC1eWzHkfyfKgF4es?si=4j-nq3_4SeaFU10FLiRBSQ
You describe this song as your “Artist song” and place it in the Room of Release within the VelumVelvet house. What do these ideas represent in your creative world?
So the house is something I just created. It felt right. The house of emotional rooms where the VelumVelvet cloak protects you as you move through the house.
The Room of Release is where Woman's Burden belongs. It's my release from the past and from the hush years. It's a room about healing, letting go, and finally finding the strength to move forward.
You have said that finding the courage to share “Woman’s Burden” was more important than perfection. What helped you take that step, and how has it influenced your approach to making music?
Gosh, this was such a hard song for me, tears have fallen.
So the emotion is genuine, I really felt Woman’s Burden.
As “Woman’s Burden” introduces listeners to an important part of your artistic journey, what do you hope they feel or discover when they enter the VelumVelvet house, and what can they look forward to from you next?
Well, I hope they discover that no two rooms are the same and that my music touches them in some way.
I have a vault full of songs, and my word soups can appear at any time. I'm a singer-songwriter and I'm not fixed to one genre.
Next up is a little R&B.
No comments:
Post a Comment