Roger K turns the everyday pressure of rising expenses into something bright, energetic and easy to move to with “Cost of Living.” Instead of making the subject feel heavy, the track uses a lively reggaeton sound to explore the familiar cycle of paying bills, checking the bank account, and still choosing to go out and enjoy life.
The song grew from Roger K’s own experience as an independent artist, a 9-to-5 worker and a parent. Its lyrics focus on the reality many people face, while the upbeat production provides a much-needed release. The contrast is central to the song: the verses acknowledge the struggle, while the hook invites listeners to let go and have some fun.
Musically, the track draws from Roger K’s love of Shaggy and the warmth and punch of J Balvin’s “Azul.” A strong snare, drum loops, tropical melodies and Jamaican reggae artist Sledge’s ad-libs help shape its sound. Roger K also handled the arrangement, vocals, samples, mixing and mastering himself.
More than simply a song about money, “Cost of Living” is about finding moments of enjoyment despite everyday pressure. With its relatable message, playful attitude and infectious groove, Roger K hopes listeners will recognize something from their own lives and, most importantly, move.
Listen to Cost Of Living below
https://open.spotify.com/track/54lhvvYQ6hETWtjwyjGWC7?si=Y4-4f6G-Qp6HMQeEhWeG2g
Follow Roger K on
Facebook
Spotify
Youtube
Instagram
Tiktok
"Cost of Living" tackles something so many people are feeling right now, but you chose to wrap it in a bright, high-energy reggaeton sound instead of something heavier. What made that contrast feel like the right approach?
Nobody needs me to tell them that groceries are expensive, rent is expensive, bills are expensive — people are living it. But it's baked into our day to day, so I was more interested in what we do in spite of that. I think sometimes we like to fantasize about the riches and the fame we have. But the truth is sometimes you've had a horrible week, you look at the bank account and probably should stay home eating two-minute noodles... and then you go out anyway because you need to feel alive for a minute. That contradiction became the song. So the lyrics tell the song, but the vibe keeps you moving through all the circumstances. Because I think that's life, and even though it's hard we gotta have some fun along the way.
You've described this as music for anyone who's ever felt caught in the rat race. Was there a specific moment, checking the bank account, paying a bill, that sparked the idea for this song?
I'm an independent artist myself and I'm 40 and watching two kids and I work a 9-5. Music is a fabulous outlet but don't get it twisted, there is definitely still a lot of run of the mill things we need to do because we all keeping many many things afloat. And the cost of living compounds that. You buy the same groceries and somehow they cost more, you check your account after a night out or a big bill and immediately regret looking at it. Haven't you ever told yourself you're gonna be sensible and then life happens again? The song grew out of recognising how universal that cycle had become
The verses capture real pressure and fatigue, but the hooks pull in a completely different direction, playful and escapist. How did you find that balance between acknowledging the struggle and still making people want to dance?
That balance was probably the whole point of the record. I didn't want the verses to pretend everything is fine, but I also didn't want three minutes of complaining. So it was more like the verses tell the story, and I assume the listener feels it, And wants that release valve, that's what the hook and the chorus is there for. Like, you've acknowledged what's happening, so now come bounce with me for a minute. The production gave me permission to make the subject playful without dismissing what people are going through.
I didn't want the verses to pretend everything is fine,
J Balvin's "Azul" and Shaggy's "It Wasn't Me" both shaped this track in different ways. What specifically did each song bring to "Cost of Living," and how did you blend those influences into something that still feels like you?
So shaggy is what I grew up with. I've also spent some time jamaica in 2013 and they had reggae blasting from every corner. And in that era the reggae was very forward, vocals were VERY pushed up in the mix, and it was bright. But then I finished mixing what I thought was my track I struggled to find a contemporary reggaeton to compare it to. When I came across J Balvin's Azul, I loved the warmth and punch of the production and how effortless the groove feels. It was like nothing else out there now. So for me my mastering on this through SPAN was already matching that bright notes in Azul and it only needed a little refinement, which is how I say that Azul inspired the sonics, and Shaggy inspired the attitude. But having said both those things, this is very much my own Roger K record. I still believe you won't find anything like it out there.
You handled the arrangement, vocals, sample work, and the entire mixing and mastering process yourself. What does that level of hands-on control give you creatively that working with outside producers might not?
The biggest thing is that I don't have to translate the idea to somebody else. If I hear something at 11 o'clock at night and think, "that vocal needs to disappear for half a bar and then come back differently," I can just do it.
I think though working everything in isolation can be a downside too. So I do reference check with others. My distributor greentea has an A&R that I can check how the sound is feeling, and I often hop aorund on different discords or Nero submissions, and utilise submithub to check when I think something sounds good, to see what people think. The feedback if often great, you do get some people who just don't like it, but for the most part people are really helpful, and that helps craft and shape a better record before release.
One thing I've learnt, and if anyone reads this, if you are doing it on your own you need to give yourself space and time. If it's September now, have a catalogue ready out to January or February. Be working on stuff 4-5 months out, it gives you the greatest flexibility and also lets your ears rest in between and listen to something after a long time. That can often uncover some amazing value.
As an independent artist, you're responsible for every stage of a song's life, from writing to final sound to visual presentation. How do you keep all those pieces connected to one clear vision?
Usually there has to be one central idea that everything can come back to. With Cost of Living, it was basically: things are difficult, but we're still going to find a way to enjoy being alive.
Once I had that, the choices became easier. The reggaeton production makes sense because it feels communal and upbeat. The lyrics can be funny because humour is part of how people cope. Even the visuals I've created around the song lean into the absurdity of modern prices and everyday consumer life.
I've also created a supporting visualiser for this utilising AI - however don't get it twisted in that it's heavily curated. I've storyboarded it, I've worked out all of the prompt engineering and I generate it in short clips, And then I piece it all together with transitions, effects, filters, shutter speed and colour grading to get a final product. Again, i'm not against using organic content, and often when I'm struggling with the visuals for a song I will go and seek someone to make something for me. But most of the time the best ideas I find are in my own head with how I want to get something out, and I'm always doing it with the inspiration of artists and artwork to keep it seamless.
https://open.spotify.com/artist/41hkPBRM1scZzY6JEcoLxT
The dembow bounce and tropical melodies give the track such a specific energy. Walk us through how the rhythm and production came together in the studio.
For me it started with the snare, that's what I remember in a good reggaeton beat like what Shaggy would produce, along with his vocals. I wanted the snare to really crack, so trying to find the right snare sample/snare drum loop sample was the first thing. I think in the end this was a mix of drum loops that really drove it, along with splicing and careful placement to change it up as needed. The melodic idea I already had after playing with some production loops, often once I create a beat I save it assuming future inspiration will come (and in this case it did!). And it was perfect to support the lyrics as the melody just moves perfectly to the spoken word.
Once everything was done, it became too much, so the next step was removing a lot of sounds I could here. A little soft pad, a little electric guitar. Essentially if I didn't know it was there before, then it could go! And once I did that, i started panning things and that opened up room for the harmonics. I found an international artist called Sledge who was happy to provide me with Adlibs for this one, a Jamaican reggae artist, and I think having his vocal fill the space was perfect.
This song frames the cost of living as something we're all going through together rather than an isolating struggle. Why was it important to you to present it that way instead of focusing purely on the hardship?
I think for me it's the point of my solo career in music. I want to say and write music to of course get things off my mind, but I think there are so many messages where we are going through the journey as a collective. Sometimes people sing about their own struggles specifically and they CAN be great, but most stuff I've heard in hip hop and R&B and pop just doesn't connect to me if it's specifically about a situation that you are in, if it's not universal. If you tell me how much money you made last year and check out my gold jet - you know I can't relate to that. You're probably super cool! and rich! but why would I care? that's why I write about the struggle, and try to keep it super relatable. For me if you can feel my music, and it can change your mood or your vibe, or it can reflect what you are feeling, that's everything for me. When people reach out and say bro that was sad, or "man that made me cry" or "I could really feel that, it's got so much soul" then that's everything I need to keep going. The elixir of real music for me
You mention the moment of deciding to go out, make a few questionable decisions and enjoy yourself anyway. Is that a mindset you live by, and did that attitude shape how you approached recording this song?
Now about these questionable decisions haha Look I would say by and large I live my life pretty responsibly just to stay alive. But you know, eventually I smash a big night with the boyz or the friends groups have a big night, or we end up going on a big family trip we really didn't need to just cause we want to get out, even though we really should save and keep building. And there has been TONNES of times we should really cook the food in the fridge, but the 9--5 struggle is real and everyone is tired and ordering in or heading out with friends is just easier. So I think this song is really for the everyday
What do you hope people feel or do after hearing "Cost of Living," and where do you see this single fitting into your broader story as an independent artist?
First, I hope they move. If somebody is thinking deeply about my artistic development while the song is playing but doesn't actually enjoy the record, I've probably failed.
After that, I hope they recognise something of their own life in it. Even one line like checking the account and looking away or promising yourself you'll behave on Monday is enough.
For me personally, Cost of Living represents where I've been heading this year. I'm becoming much more confident not just as a songwriter and vocalist, but as a producer and mixer, and I'm getting more comfortable letting different influences coexist without worrying too much about fitting neatly into one genre. I'm building a catalogue that's quite diverse and the common thread is becoming clearer: strong concepts, melody, personality and records that hopefully make you feel something.
No comments:
Post a Comment