—Song at #9: “Gold.” A vital remnant from the “uncredited Stevie Nicks backup vocal” era between Rumours and Tusk. Side note you likely knew but somehow I didn’t realize until the other day: all of the second singles (and none of the first or third singles) on the five Mac studio albums between Fleetwood Mac and Tango in the Night was a Stevie composition.
—Songs that would peak at #9: “You Can’t Change That,” “Mama Can’t Buy You Love.”
—Song that advanced nine positions: “Good Times.” That tune with the enormously influential bassline jumped from #13 to #4 in just its third week on the show. It would take four more weeks to best “Bad Girls.”
—Songs with nine letters in their title: “Good Times,” “Do It or Die,” “My Sharona.” In this issue Billboard listed Streisand’s current hit as “Main Event,” but the following week would change it to “Main Event/Fight.”
—Nine-letter words appearing in a song title: Beautiful (twice) and Moonlight. I actually can tell you what I was doing on the evening of July 21, 1979: multitasking, attention split between listening to AT40 on my portable radio and watching the Marx Brothers’ Animal Crackers on TV. (This page at ultimate70s.com confirmed my guess as to the date of the movie broadcast.) It’s a part of the second hour of the show, around the time that “People of the South Wind” and “Shadows in the Moonlight” play at #26 and #25, when I can picture myself sitting on the floor of our living room as Groucho, Harpo, Chico, and Zeppo crack wise. –Acts with nine letters in their name: Anita Ward, Elton John, Wet Willie.
—Songs that had a nine-week run on the show: “I Can’t Stand It No More,” “Do It or Die,” “Dance the Night Away.”
—Songs in their ninth week on AT40: “Ring My Bell,” “Boogie Wonderland,” “I Want You to Want Me,” “Dance the Night Away.” All four of the songs that debuted on 5/26 are still around.
—Songs in their ninth week on the Hot 100: “Bad Girls,” “I Can’t Stand It No More,” “I Was Made for Lovin’ You,” “Do It or Die,” “Shadows in the Moonlight,” “Lead Me On,” “Weekends,” “If I Said You Had a Beautiful Body Would You Hold It Against Me.” But: if you tweak this last category to ‘Hot 100 or Bubbling Under,’ you lose Maxine Nightingale and add in the song at #40, “Kiss in the Dark” by Pink Lady, the first Top 40 hit by a Japanese act since Kyu Sakamoto’s “Sukiyaki.” |
No comments:
Post a Comment