Figaro, reading ABZ #66. Taken by me.
Sometime back in September, after I ordered it belatedly, Alien Buddha Zine #66 arrived. I failed to mention this until now, first because I had a concert in which we (the LaGrange Symphony Orchestra) played my father's Poem for Orchestra and (at the dress rehearsal) made the recording I have linked to. This was very important to me, as Dad's only request about his death was a memorial concert at Oberlin, but that institution has no "bandwidth" (as a fund raiser put it to me) for such a thing.
Plan B is to involve musicians who do have the bandwidth in making recordings of his music for the American Composers Alliance website. So I was very grateful to Music Director and Conductor Richard Prior and the LSO for having the bandwidth, and of course I wanted to do well when Richard pulled me out of retirement to be acting concertmaster. Luckily, it was a good concert, and I hope you have a chance to listen to the recording of Poem. It's not on the website yet, but it's on YouTube 🙂
The second reason I am behind is that it took me a long time to complete the prose poetry workshop at Forever Workshops, though I produced some good work and actually made time to shop it around a bit, so again, thanks, Karan Kapoor, workshop facilitator.
Incidentally, I got to know of The Forever Workshop, where the surrealist prose poetry workshop appears, through Chill Subs, which has many more resources for writers. I became an affiliate of Chill Subs because their services have helped me. If you would like to unlock these for yourself, please click this link: Subscribe to Sub Club!
But back to the ABZ issue: I discussed my contributions here. Beyond that, I like the cover art, especially the flying pacifier. I have not as yet gotten very much further in, but I have been able to appreciate the raw honesty in James Hippie's poetic record of his struggle with addiction in the issue's preview of his XX, and the energetic, grungy retro of Michael Brockley's prose poems, "Insomnia" and "Stolen Car." #66 promises to deliver the usual lively mix of material I have come to expect from ABZ. So pick your copy up in black and white here or in color here. As always, thanks and kudos to Editor Red Focks.
No comments:
Post a Comment